As a general principle, medications are not to be given at schools. Acutely ill students should be sent home. Students convalescing from an acute illness should remain at home until the need for medication no longer exists. Students should not be allowed to have any drugs in their possession on the school grounds. Special circumstances exist for a health problem that can be expected to be of a long duration. When such a condition exists, the following policy will be adhered to:
• Written orders from a physician detailing the name of drug, dosage, route and time interval medication is to be taken.
• Written request and permission from the parent or guardian of the student requesting that the school district comply with the physician’s order.
• Medication must be brought to the school in a container appropriately labeled by the pharmacy or physician that matches the school medication order.
• An appointment must be made with the school nurse to receive any new medication or change in medication orders, diagnoses, or medical treatment needed at school.
• Upon receipt of any new medication, an assessment by the school nurse must be made of the medication and the student who is to receive the medication.
• Each medication given must be recorded on a medication log, which includes date, time dosage and signature of person giving medications.
• Opportunities must be provided for communication with the student, parent and physician regarding the efficiency of the medication administered during school hours.
• The school nurse will inform the appropriate school personnel of potential benefits and side effects of the drug being administered.
No employee of the school district may be held responsible if the child does not receive his scheduled dose of medicine or if the child takes an overdose of medicine. If the daily dose of medicine is lost, stolen, or spilled, or if the child refuses to take it or spits it out, a reasonable attempt will be made to reach the parents. If the parents cannot be reached, the school personnel shall not be held responsible. These particular situations must be documented and signed by the person(s) involved.
CONTAGIOUS DISEASES (MEDICAL PROBLEMS)
* Detailed information about medication may be found in the policy manual at www.tangischools.org.