Student learning is the chief priority of the school.
A variety of teaching styles and assessment methodologies is incorporated into the curriculum in order to accommodate individual learning styles.
Technology is incorporated into the curriculum to ensure that students are prepared to meet current and future challenges.
Problem solving, challenging expectations, and opportunities for application of knowledge is provided in order to increase the opportunity for success.
Students are valued individuals with unique needs and learning styles.
Self-esteem is enhanced by mutual respect among students and staff.
Cultural diversity facilities understanding of different people and cultures.
An orderly atmosphere that is conducive to learning is maintained so that everyone feels emotionally and physically secure.
Hammond High School publishes a Student Handbook annually. The purpose of the handbook is to provide students and parents important information on all the school policies and procedures. The policies and procedures contained in the handbook are the result of a concerted effort on the part of the staff. This information has been carefully prepared to enable you to adjust to our school and to become an integral part of it.
A HISTORY LESSON ...
Education in the city of Hammond dates back as far as 1866, when the first school Hammond, or Hammond's Crossing, as it was better known, was established in a house located on the corner of Magnolia and West Thomas Streets.
In 1886 a building was erected by C.E. Cate on the north side of Thomas Street, facing the Illinois Central Railroad. School was conducted on the second floor; the first floor housed a freight depot, general store, and the post office. On Sundays the schoolroom was used for church services. The first teacher in the school was Miss Mary Louise Cable, sister of the author George Washington Cable; she taught in the Hammond school until about 1885.
Two years later that building was destroyed by fire. School was held temporarily in a boarding house on the corner of West Thomas and Oak Streets. Mr. Cate erected another school building on the corner of West Thomas and Magnolia Streets. This building was often referred to as the "school with the cupola." It was used free of charge for church, literary, and other community affairs, as well as school.
The city's first public school, established in 1888, was housed in the school with the cupola. The first teacher was Mrs. Nettie Mann Morrison, who had taught the pay school. She taught the common school subjects, as well as piano, and refined dancing.